Nationals beat the Mets 5-2 on Sunday (August 19, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to an MLB-best 75-46 overall and 34-23 at home.
a. The Nats improved to 61-42 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats improved to 2-1 on their six-game homestand.
c. The Nats won for the 22nd time in 29 games.
2. The game started after a 2 hour, 26 minute rain delay.
3. Starter Gio Gonzalez allowed one run in 5 2/3 innings.
a. Gonzalez improved to 16-6 with a 3.23 ERA over 25 starts this season.
4. Reliever Craig Stammen tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings.
5. Closer Tyler Clippard tossed a perfect ninth inning.
a. Clippard improved to 27-for-31 on saves this season.
6. The Nats totaled nine hits.
a. 19-year-old rookie center fielder Bryce Harper had a solo homer (12) and an RBI triple.
i. Harper became the first player in major-league history to have at least 12 homers and six triples in his age 19 season (age as of June 30).
b. Second baseman Danny Espinosa had a two-run homer (14).
c. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI single and a double.
d. Right fielder Jayson Werth had two singles and a run.
7. Negatives from the win:
a. The Nats totaled no walks.
i. Shortstop Ian Desmond went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
ii. First baseman Adam LaRoche went 0-for-4.
iii. Catcher Kurt Suzuki went 0-for-3.
b. Reliever Michael Gonzalez allowed one run in the eighth inning.
8. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
b. Rookie catcher Jhonatan (JAHN-uh-tihn) Solano (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
c. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Reliever Henry Rodriguez (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
g. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
h. Infielder/outfielder Mark DeRosa (left abdominal strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four Against Tampa Bay
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Getting Swept At Philadelphia
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Baltimore And The Cutdown To 75
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three Against San Francisco
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Getting Swept At The Cubs