Orioles win at Detroit 7-5 on Sunday afternoon (August 19, 2012).
1. The O’s improved to 66-55 overall and 34-26 on the road.
a. The O’s improved to 39-41 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s improved to 27-28 since their 39-27 start.
c. The O’s improved to 2-1 on their six-game road trip.
d. The O’s won for the 14th time in 20 games.
2. The O’s overcame a 5-0 first-inning deficit, totaled nine hits and five walks and went 4-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
a. Left fielder Nate McLouth had a go-ahead two-run triple, single and a run.
b. Right fielder Nick Markakis had an RBI double, a single and a walk and finished with two runs.
c. Shortstop J.J. Hardy had a two-run double, a walk and a run.
d. DH Chris Davis had a solo homer (20).
e. First baseman Mark Reynolds had two singles and a walk.
3. Relievers Luis Ayala, Darren O’Day, Pedro Strop and Jim Johnson combined for four scoreless innings.
a. Johnson improved to 37-for-40 on saves this season.
4. Negatives from the win:
a. Rookie starter Wei-Yin (WAY-YIHN) Chen allowed five runs in the first inning on two homers, a double, two singles and a walk. He did then toss four scoreless innings.
i. Chen improved to 12-7 with a 3.87 ERA over 25 starts this season.
b. The O’s struck out nine times.
i. 20-year-old rookie third baseman Manny Machado went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
5. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Starter Jason Hammel (right knee injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
b. Pitchers Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz are at Triple-A Norfolk. Matusz now is being used a reliever, though that’s not the long-term plan for him.
c. Reliever Troy Patton (right ankle sprain) on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Infielder Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) (right wrist injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. DH Jim Thome (TOH-mee) (herniated disc in his neck) is on the 15-day disabled list and is expected to be out until at least September.
f. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 60-day disabled list.
g. Infielder Ryan Flaherty (bacterial infection) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
i. Second baseman Brian Roberts is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending surgery on his right hip labral tear on Aug. 3.
j. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
k. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At San Francisco In Week 12
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Tampa Bay In Week 11