Nationals beat Miami 4-1 on Sunday afternoon (August 5, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to 65-43 overall and 32-22 at home.
a. The Nats now are a season-best 22 games above .500.
b. The Nats improved to 51-39 since their 14-4 start.
c. The Nats concluded a 4-3 homestand.
2. Starter Stephen Strasburg, off allowing six earned runs in four innings against Philadelphia, tossed six scoreless innings, recording six strikeouts versus three hits and a walk on 91 pitches. He also had a two-run single and a run.
a. Strasburg improved to 12-5 with a 2.97 ERA over 22 starts this season.
3. Reliever Sean Burnett tossed a perfect eighth inning.
4. Reliever Drew Storen tossed a scoreless ninth inning, converting his first save chance of the season.
5. The Nats totaled 10 hits (all singles) and five walks and went 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
a. First baseman Adam LaRoche had a two-run single, another single and a walk.
b. 19-year-old rookie center fielder Bryce Harper had two singles and a walk. He did strike out twice, including one during which he broke his bat after slamming it on home plate in frustration. Harper later apologized to Marlins catcher John Buck.
c. Rookie second baseman Steve Lombardozzi had a single, two walks, a hit-by-pitch and a run. He did get caught stealing.
6. The Nats won despite reliever Craig Stammen allowing a run on consecutive doubles in the seventh inning.
7. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Shortstop Ian Desmond (left oblique injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
b. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
c. Rookie catcher Jhonatan (JAHN-uh-tihn) Solano (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Reliever Henry Rodriguez (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
h. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four Against The Yankees
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Three Of Four At The Mets
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three Against Atlanta
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles' Three-Game Sweep At Boston
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Houston