Orioles lose at the Yankees 12-3 on Wednesday afternoon (August 1, 2012).
1. The O’s fell to 55-50 overall and 30-24 on the road.
a. The O’s fell to 28-36 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s fell to 2-1 on their six-game road trip.
c. The O’s lost for the 23rd time in 39 games.
d. The loss snapped the Birds’ three-game winning streak.
2. Starter Zach Britton allowed seven runs in 2 2/3 innings.
a. Britton fell to 1-1 with an 8.35 ERA over four starts this season.
3. Reliever Kevin Gregg allowed four runs in 1 1/3 innings.
4. Reliever Luis Ayala allowed one run in 1 1/3 innings.
5. The O’s went 0-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
6. Positives from the loss:
a. The O’s totaled 13 hits.
i. Shortstop J.J. Hardy had a solo homer (15), a double and a single.
ii. Third baseman Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) had two singles, a walk and a run.
iii. Center fielder Adam Jones had two singles.
iv. Catcher Matt Wieters had two singles but committed a passed ball (4).
v. Left fielder/center fielder Endy Chavez had an RBI double and an RBI groundout.
b. Reliever Matt Lindstrom tossed two scoreless innings.
c. Tommy Hunter worked as a reliever and faced three batters in the eighth inning: walk, RBI sac fly, fly out.
7. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. DH Jim Thome (TOH-mee) (herniated disc in his neck) is on the 15-day disabled list.
b. Second baseman Brian Roberts is on the 15-day disabled list and announced that he’s decided to undergo season-ending surgery on his right hip labral tear.
c. Starter Jason Hammel (right knee injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 60-day disabled list.
e. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
f. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
g. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At San Francisco In Week 12
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Tampa Bay In Week 11