Nationals lose to Philadelphia 8-0 on Tuesday night (July 31, 2012).
1. The Nats fell to 61-41 overall and 28-20 at home.
a. The Nats fell to 47-37 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats fell to 0-1 on their seven-game homestand.
2. Starter Stephen Strasburg allowed six runs in four innings.
a. Strasburg fell to 11-5 with a 3.12 ERA over 21 starts this season.
3. Reliever Henry Rodriguez allowed two runs in 1 1/3 innings.
4. Reliever Drew Storen faced three batters in the ninth inning: RBI groundout, RBI single, groundout.
5. The Nats totaled just five hits and one walk and struck out 12 times.
a. Third baseman Mark DeRosa went 0-for-4 with four strikeouts.
b. 19-year-old rookie right fielder Bryce Harper went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
c. Shortstop Danny Espinosa went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
d. Rookie first baseman Tyler Moore went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
6. The Nats lost despite reliever Tom Gorzelanny tossing three scoreless innings.
7. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. First baseman Adam LaRoche did not play due to a sore back.
b. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman did not play due to a sore back.
c. The Nats reinstated infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) from the 15-day disabled list and optioned rookie outfielder Corey Brown to Triple-A Syracuse.
d. Shortstop Ian Desmond (left oblique injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
f. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
g. Rookie catcher Jhonatan (JAHN-uh-tihn) Solano (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
j. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
k. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog