Nationals win at Milwaukee 11-10 in 11 innings on Sunday (July 29, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to 61-40 overall and 33-21 on the road. The 61-40 has the Nats tied with Cincinnati for the best record in MLB. The 33-21 is the best road record in MLB.
a. The Nats improved to 47-36 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats concluded a 6-1 road trip.
2. The Nats totaled 15 hits and six walks and won despite trailing 5-2 in the seventh inning, 7-3 in the eighth inning and 9-7 in the ninth inning.
a. Left fielder/first baseman Michael Morse had a game-tying two-run homer (8) in the ninth inning and a go-ahead two-run double in the 11th inning. He also had a walk and an outfield assist and finished with two runs.
b. Center fielder Roger Bernadina had a two-run homer (3) and two walks.
c. Rookie second baseman Steve Lombardozzi had a solo homer (2), two singles and an RBI groundout.
d. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had a double, a single and two runs.
e. Rookie pinch hitter/left fielder Corey Brown had a double, a single and two runs.
3. Reliever Craig Stammen tossed 2 1/3 scoreless and hitless innings, recording four strikeouts.
4. Negatives from the win:
a. Starter Gio Gonzalez allowed five runs (four earned) in six innings. He also committed a throwing error (2) during the Brewers’ two-run sixth inning.
i. Gonzalez now has a 4.48 ERA (31 earned runs in 62 1/3 innings) since the start of June.
ii. Gonzalez now has a 3.27 ERA over 21 starts this season.
b. Reliever Ryan Mattheus allowed four runs in 1 2/3 innings.
c. Closer Tyler Clippard gave up a solo homer in the 11th inning but improved to 20-for-23 on saves.
d. The Nats struck out 13 times.
i. Shortstop Danny Espinosa went 1-for-6 with four strikeouts.
5. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. First baseman Adam LaRoche left the game in the fourth inning due to back tightness.
b. 19-year-old rookie outfielder Bryce Harper had two walks and a run but did strike out twice in his return from a one-game absence caused by a stomach virus.
c. The Nats unconditionally released outfielder Xavier Nady and signed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor-league contract.
d. Shortstop Ian Desmond (left oblique injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
f. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
g. Rookie catcher Jhonatan (JAHN-uh-tihn) Solano (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
j. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
k. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
l. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Top 3 Misleading Things You'll Hear/Read Regarding The Redskins As Free Agency Begins
- Lessons In Winning
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Dallas In Week 17
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Philadelphia In Week 16
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15