Orioles beat Oakland 6-1 on Sunday afternoon (July 29, 2012).
1. The O’s improved to 53-49 overall and 25-26 at home.
a. The O’s improved to 26-35 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s concluded a 2-4 homestand.
c. The O’s won for just the 14th time in 36 games.
2. Rookie starter Wei-Yin (WAY-YIHN) Chen allowed one run (unearned) in 5 2/3 innings, recording 12 strikeouts versus three hits and four walks on 108 pitches.
a. Chen improved to 9-6 with a 3.65 ERA over 21 starts this season.
3. Relievers Darren O’Day, Troy Patton, Pedro Strop and Luis Ayala combined for 3 1/3 scoreless innings.
4. Second baseman Omar Quintanilla (keen-tuh-NEE-uh) had a solo homer (2), a double and a single and finished with two runs. He did commit an error (2) during the Athletics’ one-run sixth inning.
5. Center fielder Adam Jones had an RBI double, a walk and a run.
6. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Catcher Matt Wieters returned from a two-game absence caused by right biceps soreness and had a three-run homer (13).
b. Second baseman Brian Roberts is on the 15-day disabled list and announced that he’s decided to undergo season-ending surgery on his right hip labral tear.
c. DH Jim Thome (TOH-mee) did not play for a second consecutive game due to neck spasms.
d. The O’s selected the contract of outfielder Lew Ford from Triple-A Norfolk.
e. Starter Jason Hammel (right knee injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Infielder Robert Andino (left shoulder injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 60-day disabled list.
h. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
i. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
j. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four Against Tampa Bay
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Getting Swept At Philadelphia
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Baltimore And The Cutdown To 75
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three Against San Francisco
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Getting Swept At The Cubs