Nationals win at Miami 5-1 on Friday night (July 13, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to a National League-best 50-34 overall and 26-18 on the road.
a. The Nats improved to 36-30 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats won for the ninth time in 13 games.
2. Starter Jordan Zimmermann tossed six scoreless innings, allowing four hits and a walk versus six strikeouts on 87 pitches. He did commit a throwing error (2).
a. Zimmermann improved to 6-6 with a 2.48 ERA over 18 starts this season.
3. Relievers Michael Gonzalez, Ryan Mattheus, Sean Burnett and Tyler Clippard combined for 2 2/3 scoreless innings.
4. The Nats totaled 13 hits.
a. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had a two-run homer (9) and two singles.
i. Zimmerman now is 23-for-64 (.359) with six homers over 15 games since receiving a cortisone shot in his ailing right shoulder before the 2-1 loss at the Orioles on June 24.
b. First baseman Adam LaRoche had a double, two singles and two runs.
c. Shortstop Ian Desmond had an RBI single, another single, a stolen base and a run. He did strike out twice.
d. Second baseman Danny Espinosa had a double and a single. He did get caught stealing.
e. 19-year-old rookie center fielder/right fielder Bryce Harper had a single, a stolen base and a run. He did strike out twice.
f. Catcher Jesus Flores had a two-run single but went 0-for-3 on runners trying to steal and committed a throwing error (2).
i. Flores now is 5-for-32 on runners trying to steal this season.
5. Negatives from the win:
a. Reliever Henry Rodriguez faced four batters in the seventh inning: strikeout, walk, walk, RBI single.
b. The Nats totaled no walks and struck out 11 times.
i. Right fielder/left fielder Michael Morse went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
6. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. The Nats agreed to terms with their 2012 first-round draft pick, starter Lucas Giolito, a high-school pitcher out of California. He was the 16th overall pick of the draft. The deadline to sign was 5 p.m. eastern on Friday. Giolito has dealt with an injured ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
b. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
c. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
d. Outfielder Xavier Nady (right wrist tendinitis) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Reliever Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
f. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
g. Rookie catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
j. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
k. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At San Francisco In Week 12
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Tampa Bay In Week 11