Nationals lose to Colorado 4-3 on Sunday afternoon (July 8, 2012).
1. The Nats fell to a National League-best 49-34 overall and 24-16 at home.
a. The Nats fell to 35-30 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats concluded a 4-2 homestand.
c. The Nats lost for just the fourth time in 12 games.
2. The Nats blew a 3-1 eighth-inning leads as their bullpen did not come through.
a. Reliever Sean Burnett faced three batters in the eighth inning and did not record an out: solo homer, single, single.
b. Reliever Michael Gonzalez allowed a run-scoring wild pitch in the eighth inning before striking out three consecutive batters.
c. Closer Tyler Clippard allowed a double and a run-scoring wild pitch in the ninth inning.
d. Nats relievers are tied for sixth in MLB with a 3.13 ERA.
3. The Nats totaled just two walks.
a. Rookie catcher Jhonatan (JAHN-uh-tihn) Solano went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and 0-for-1 on runners trying to steal.
b. Second baseman Danny Espinosa went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and now is batting .232.
c. The Nats rank 22nd out of 30 MLB teams in walks.
4. Positives from the loss:
a. Starter Jordan Zimmermann allowed one run in seven innings, giving up three hits and two walks versus two strikeouts on 95 pitches.
i. Zimmermann has lasted at least six innings in each of his 17 starts this season.
ii. Zimmermann now has a 2.61 ERA over 17 starts this season. He leads all Nats starters in ERA and has allowed a rotation-low 22 walks in a rotation-high 110 1/3 innings and yet his record is just 5-6.
iii. Nats starters lead MLB with a 3.25 ERA.
b. The Nats totaled 10 hits and six stolen bases and went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
i. Shortstop Ian Desmond had a two-run homer (17) in the fourth inning, a single and two stolen bases.
1. Desmond’s 17 homers have already tied the single-season franchise record for homers by a shortstop (Orlando Cabrera, 2003).
2. Desmond leads all MLB shortstops in homers, doubles, slugging percentage and RBI.
ii. First baseman Adam LaRoche had a double, a single and a run.
1. LaRoche leads all qualified Nats with an .836 OPS despite batting just .182 in June and .247 in May.
iii. Pinch hitter/left fielder Roger Bernadina had a single, a walk, two stolen bases and a run.
iv. Right fielder Michael Morse had two singles.
v. 19-year-old rookie center fielder Bryce Harper had a single and two stolen bases.
1. Harper has played in just 63 MLB games and yet leads all qualified Nats in on-base percentage, leads the team in triples, is second in runs, is tied for second in walks, is third among qualified Nats in slugging percentage and OPS and is tied for third in hits and homers.
5. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
b. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
c. Outfielder Xavier Nady (right wrist tendinitis) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Reliever Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
e. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
f. Rookie catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
i. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
j. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Cincinnati
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four At Seattle
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Colorado
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Two Of Three At The Angels
- 2014 Redskins Offseason: Five Takeaways On Defense