Orioles lose at the Angels 6-0 on Sunday (July 8, 2012).
1. The O’s fell to 45-40 overall and 23-20 on the road.
a. The O’s fell to 18-26 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s concluded a 3-4 trip out west.
c. The O’s lost for the 13th time in 19 games.
2. The O’s totaled just five hits and two walks, went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and struck out 11 times.
a. 27-year-old journeyman left-hander Brad Mills, called up from Triple-A before the game, held the O’s to just three hits over five innings.
b. First baseman Mark Reynolds went 0-for-4 with a strikeout and now is batting .207. He does lead the O’s in walks and on-base percentage.
c. Shortstop J.J. Hardy went 0-for-4 with a strikeout and now is batting .224.
d. Center fielder Adam Jones went 0-for-4 with a strikeout and now is 6-for-32 (.188) this month.
i. Jones still leads the O’s in hits, homers, doubles, slugging percentage, OPS, batting average, runs and RBI.
e. The O’s are 26th out of 30 MLB teams in batting average and on-base percentage.
3. Rookie starter Wei-Yin (WAY-YIHNG) Chen allowed five runs in four innings on five hits (including three homers) and three walks versus five strikeouts on 72 pitches.
a. Chen fell to 7-5 with a 3.93 ERA over 17 starts this season.
b. O’s starters now are 26th out of 30 MLB teams with a 4.77 ERA.
4. Reliever Luis Ayala gave up a solo homer during his two innings.
5. Positives from the loss:
a. Reliever Matt Lindstrom tossed a perfect seventh inning.
b. Reliever Kevin Gregg tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
i. O’s relievers are second in MLB with a 2.75 ERA but fourth in innings pitched.
6. Injury/roster/absence update:
a. Second baseman Brian Roberts is on the 15-day disabled list and has been diagnosed with a right hip labral tear.
b. Pitchers Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) are at Triple-A Norfolk.
c. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
d. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
f. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
h. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
i. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At San Francisco In Week 12
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Tampa Bay In Week 11