Nationals beat Colorado 4-1 on Saturday (July 7, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to 49-33 overall and 24-15 at home.
a. The Nats improved to 35-29 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats improved to 4-1 on their six-game homestand.
c. The Nats won for the eighth time in 11 games.
2. Starter Gio Gonzalez allowed one run in six innings, allowing three hits and three walks versus six strikeouts on 102 pitches.
a. Gonzalez won his fourth consecutive start, despite not lasting longer than six innings in any of those starts and allowing eight earned runs in 11 innings over starts two and three of this stretch.
b. Gonzalez improved to 12-3 with a 2.92 ERA over 17 starts this season.
3. Relievers Ryan Mattheus, Sean Burnett and Tyler Clippard each tossed a scoreless inning.
a. Mattheus struck out the three batters he faced in the seventh inning.
b. Clippard improved to 14-for-15 on saves.
4. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI single, a walk and a run.
5. The Nats won despite going just 7-for-29 overall, totaling just two walks and striking out nine times.
a. First baseman Adam LaRoche went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and a walk.
b. Catcher Jesus Flores went 0-or-3 with a strikeout and 0-for-1 on runners trying to steal.
6. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Rookie center fielder Bryce Harper had a single and a run and was named to the National League All-Star team as a replacement for Miami outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, who was expected to miss four to six weeks with a right knee injury. The 19-year-old Harper, who was born on October 16, 1992, becomes the third-youngest MLB All-Star ever and the youngest All-Star position player in history. The only two players in MLB history who were younger in an All-Star game were Mets starter Dwight Gooden in 1984 (the youngest All-Star ever) and Hall of Famer Bob Feller in 1938.
b. Shortstop Ian Desmond had a solo homer (16) and a single but has been replaced by Atlanta center fielder Michael Bourn on the National League’s active roster for Tuesday night’s All-Star game. Desmond has been dealing with a left oblique strain, for which he has undergone treatment and rest has been recommended.
c. Reliever Chien-Ming Wang (right hip strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
e. Outfielder Xavier Nady (right wrist tendinitis) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Reliever Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
g. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
h. Catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
j. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
k. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
l. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Win Over Cleveland
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals' Three-Game Sweep Of Pittsburgh
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Losing Two Of Three At Cleveland
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals' Three-Game Sweep At The Mets
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Sweeping A Two-Game Series With The Yankees