Orioles win at the Angels 3-2 on Friday night (July 6, 2012).
1. The O’s improved to 45-38 overall and 23-18 on the road.
a. The O’s improved to 18-24 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s improved to 3-2 on their seven-game trip out west.
c. The O’s won for just the sixth time in 17 games.
2. Rookie starter Miguel Gonzalez allowed one run in seven innings, allowing just three hits and two walks versus six strikeouts on 100 pitches in his first MLB start.
a. Gonzalez improved to 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA over four games (one start) this season.
3. Right fielder Steve Pearce blasted a three-run homer (3) in the fifth inning.
a. Pearce now has 14 RBI in 22 games with the O’s. He had 10 RBI in 50 games with Pittsburgh last season.
4. Center fielder Adam Jones had a double and a single.
5. Closer Jim Johnson tossed a perfect ninth inning.
a. Johnson improved to 26-for-27 on saves with a 1.21 ERA this season.
6. Reliever Troy Patton retired the only batter he faced, recording the final out of the eighth inning.
7. Negatives from the win:
a. Reliever Darren O’Day faced five batters in the eighth inning: strikeout, flyout, solo homer, triple, intentional walk.
i. O’Day now has allowed four earned runs in 2 2/3 innings on nine hits over his last four games.
b. The O’s totaled just five hits.
i. Second baseman Robert Andino went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
ii. Shortstop J.J. Hardy went 0-for-4.
iii. DH Ronnie Paulino went 0-for-3.
8. Injury/roster/absence update:
a. Second baseman Brian Roberts is on the 15-day disabled list and has been diagnosed with a right hip labral tear.
b. Infielder/outfielder Chris Davis did not play for a second consecutive game due to a trapezius muscle strain.
c. Pitchers Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) are at Triple-A Norfolk. Matusz actually tossed a four-hit shutout on Friday night.
d. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
e. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
g. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
i. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
j. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Dallas In Week 17
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Philadelphia In Week 16
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13