Orioles win at Seattle 4-2 on Wednesday (July 4, 2012).
1. The O’s improved to 44-37 overall and 22-17 on the road.
a. The O’s improved to 17-23 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s improved to 2-1 on their seven-game trip out west.
2. Center fielder Adam Jones blasted a solo homer (20) in the second inning.
3. First baseman Mark Reynolds had a double, a single and two runs.
4. Second baseman Robert Andino had two singles (including an RBI single) and a run but committed an error (12) during the Mariners’ two-run ninth inning.
5. Right fielder Chris Davis had an RBI single.
6. Closer Jim Johnson faced three batters in the ninth inning: RBI groundout, RBI single, game-ending flyout.
a. Johnson improved to 25-for-26 on saves this season.
7. The O’s won despite going just 7-for-32 overall, totaling just two walks and striking out 10 times.
a. Shortstop J.J. Hardy went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and an RBI.
b. Rookie left fielder Xavier Avery went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
c. DH Jim Thome (TOH-mee) went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and a walk.
d. Third baseman Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and a walk and committed his 13th error in the eighth inning.
i. The O’s now have an MLB-worst 72 errors.
8. Injury/roster/absence update.
a. The O’s recalled pitcher Chris Tillman from Triple-A Norfolk. He allowed two runs (both unearned) in 8 1/3 innings, giving up two hits and two walks versus seven strikeouts on 125 pitches in his MLB season debut. Tillman is 8-8 with a 3.63 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 89 1/3 innings in 16 games (15 starts) for Norfolk this season but entered Wednesday’s game with a 5.58 ERA over 36 career MLB starts. The O’s actually optioned Tillman to Double-A Bowie after the game, but this was done so Tillman won’t be idle during the All-Star break.
b. Second baseman Brian Roberts (right groin strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
c. Pitchers Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) are at Triple-A Norfolk.
d. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
e. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
f. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
g. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
i. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
j. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Tampa Bay In Week 11
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Minnesota In Week 9
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win At Dallas In Week 8
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Tennessee In Week 7
- 10 Takeaways From The Orioles Getting Swept By Kansas City In The ALCS