Orioles lose to Cleveland 7-2 on Thursday night (June 28, 2012).
1. The O’s fell to 41-34 overall and 21-18 at home.
a. The O’s fell to 14-20 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s fell to 2-4 on their nine-game homestand.
c. The O’s now have lost seven of their last nine games.
2. Rookie starter Wei-Yin (WAY-YIHNG) Chen allowed six runs in 6 1/3 innings on six hits (including two homers), three walks and a hit-by-pitch versus three strikeouts.
a. Chen fell to 7-4 with a 3.73 ERA over 15 starts this season.
3. Reliever Luis Ayala faced three batters in the seventh inning: three-run homer, walk, double play.
4. The O’s went just 7-for-34 overall and 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position, totaled just one walk and struck out nine times.
a. The O’s now are 3-for-52 with runners in scoring position over their last 10 games.
b. First baseman Mark Reynolds went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
c. Center fielder Adam Jones went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
i. Jones has just one homer over his last 14 games. He blasted 10 homers in May.
d. DH Chris Davis went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
i. Davis now is batting .169 (12-for-71) this month. He batted .310 in April and .309 in May.
e. Second baseman Brian Roberts went 0-for-4.
i. Roberts went 3-for-4 in his first game. He now is 8-for-52 (.154) since.
5. Positives from the loss:
a. Relievers Pedro Strop and Jim Johnson each tossed a scoreless inning.
b. Shortstop J.J. Hardy had a two-run homer (12) and a double.
c. Third baseman Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) had a double, a single and a walk but committed an error (12).
i. The O’s now have an MLB-worst 67 errors.
6. Injury/roster/absence update.
a. The O’s placed DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) on the 15-day disabled list and recalled rookie outfielder Xavier Avery from Triple-A Norfolk. Avery had a single and a stolen base.
b. Manager Buck Showalter said that Dana Eveland will start Saturday’s game against the Indians, as the O’s are keeping Tommy Hunter as a long reliever.
c. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
d. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
e. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Starter Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) is at Triple-A Norfolk.
g. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
h. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
i. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Seattle
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four Against Tampa Bay
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Getting Swept At Philadelphia
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Baltimore And The Cutdown To 75
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three Against San Francisco