Nationals lose at the Orioles 2-1 on Sunday afternoon (June 24, 2012).
1. The Nats fell to 41-29 overall and 21-15 on the road.
a. The Nats fell to 27-25 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats fell to 1-2 on their 10-game road trip.
c. The Nats concluded a 9-6 swing against opponents from the American League East.
2. The announced attendance was 41,794.
3. Reliever Sean Burnett faced four batters in the eighth inning: single, two-run homer, fly out, walk.
4. The Nats totaled just six hits and two walks, struck out nine times and went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
a. DH Michael Morse went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
b. Center fielder Rick Ankiel went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
c. Shortstop Ian Desmond went 0-for-3 with a walk and got caught stealing at second base to end the game.
d. Rookie left fielder Steve Lombardozzi went 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
e. First baseman Adam LaRoche went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and a walk.
5. Positives from the loss:
a. Starter Ross Detwiler tossed five scoreless innings.
i. Detwiler now has a 3.09 ERA over 16 games (10 starts) this season.
b. Reliever Craig Stammen tossed two scoreless innings.
c. Reliever Ryan Mattheus faced one batter and induced a double play to end the eighth inning.
d. 19-year-old rookie right fielder Bryce Harper had a double, a single and a stolen base.
6. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman received a cortisone injection in his ailing right shoulder before the game and had an RBI single and another single.
b. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
c. Reliever Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
d. Reliever Henry Rodriguez is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right index finger, which he suffered when he slammed a bathroom door on the finger.
e. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
f. Catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
i. Infielder-outfielder Mark DeRosa (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
j. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
k. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Win Over Cleveland
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals' Three-Game Sweep Of Pittsburgh
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Losing Two Of Three At Cleveland
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals' Three-Game Sweep At The Mets
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Sweeping A Two-Game Series With The Yankees