Orioles beat the Nationals 2-1 on Sunday afternoon (June 24, 2012).
1. The O’s improved to 41-31 overall and 21-15 at home.
a. The O’s improved to 14-17 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s improved to 2-1 on their nine-game homestand.
2. The announced attendance was 41,794.
3. Starter Jake Arrieta allowed one run in six innings.
a. Arrieta now has a 5.55 ERA over 16 starts this season.
4. Relievers Troy Patton, Pedro Strop and Jim Johnson combined for three scoreless innings.
a. Johnson improved to 22-for-23 on saves this season.
5. Catcher Matt Wieters blasted a two-run homer (10) in the eighth inning and threw out Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond on an attempted steal of second base to end the game. Wieters went 1-for-2 on runners trying to steal.
6. The O’s won despite going just 7-for-30 overall and 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
a. First baseman Mark Reynolds went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
b. Second baseman Brian Roberts went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and a walk.
7. Injury/roster/absence update.
a. Infielder/outfielder Chris Davis did not start and went 0-for-1 as a pinch hitter. He’s now mired in an 0-for-29 slump.
b. Reliever Dana Eveland was not available due to traveling to California to be with his wife for the birth of their second child.
c. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list and will undergo what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on Monday. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has had two epidural injections and hasn't played since April 30 because of the injury. He has five homers in just 16 games this season.
d. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
e. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Starter Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) is at Triple-A Norfolk.
g. Reliever Matt Lindstrom (right middle finger injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
i. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
j. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How the 2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense Ranks Versus Four of the Best Defenses Ever
- NFL Wild-Card Weekend Through A Redskins Prism
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At The Giants And The Firing Of Mike Shanahan
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss To Dallas
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Atlanta