Nationals win at the Orioles 3-1 on Saturday night (June 23, 2012).
1. The Nats improved to 41-28 overall and 21-14 on the road.
a. The Nats improved to 27-24 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats improved to 9-5 on their 15-game swing against opponents from the American League East.
c. The Nats improved to 1-1 on their 10-game road trip.
2. The announced attendance was 46,298.
3. Starter Edwin Jackson allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings.
a. Jackson improved to 4-4 with a 2.91 ERA over 14 starts this season.
4. Relievers Michael Gonzalez, Sean Burnett and Tyler Clippard combined for 2 2/3 scoreless innings.
a. Clippard improved to 12-for-13 on saves this season. Manager Davey Johnson indicated after the game that he will stick with Clippard as the team’s closer even when reliever Drew Storen is healthy.
5. First baseman Adam LaRoche had a solo homer (13) and a single and finished with two runs.
6. DH Michael Morse had two singles and a run.
7. Right fielder Xavier Nady had an RBI infield single and a walk.
8. 19-year-old rookie center fielder/right fielder Bryce Harper had a single, a walk and a stolen base.
9. The Nats won despite going just 8-for-34 overall and 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
a. Second baseman Danny Espinosa went 0-for-5 with a strikeout.
b. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman went 0-for-4 and committed an error (4). Johnson indicated after the game that Zimmerman’s right shoulder remains an issue and that another stint on the disabled list is possible.
c. Shortstop Ian Desmond went 0-for-4.
d. Catcher Jesus Flores went 0-for-4.
10. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
b. Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
c. Reliever Henry Rodriguez is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right index finger, which he suffered when he slammed a bathroom door on the finger.
d. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
e. Catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
h. Infielder-outfielder Mark DeRosa (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
j. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Lessons In Winning
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Dallas In Week 17
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Philadelphia In Week 16
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14