Nationals lose at the Orioles 2-1 on Friday night (June 22, 2012).
1. The Nats fell to 40-28 overall and 20-14 on the road.
a. The Nats fell to 26-24 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats fell to 8-5 on their 15-game swing against opponents from the American League East.
c. The Nats fell to 0-1 on their 10-game road trip.
2. The announced attendance was 45,891.
3. The game began after a rain delay of over an hour.
4. The Nats totaled just five hits and one walk, went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and struck out 10 times.
a. The Nats’ no. 2 through 4 batters – 19-year-old rookie center fielder Bryce Harper, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman and first baseman Adam LaRoche – went a combined 0-for-12 with four strikeouts.
i. Harper now is 3-for-23 over his last six games.
ii. Zimmerman now is batting .222 this season.
iii. LaRoche now is batting .148 (9-for-61) this month.
b. The Nats’ no. 8 and 9 batters – right fielder Roger Bernadina and catcher Jesus Flores – went a combined 0-for-6 with two strikeouts.
5. Positives from the loss:
a. Starter Jordan Zimmermann allowed two runs in seven innings, giving up eight hits, one walk and a hit-by-pitch versus two strikeouts on 101 pitches.
i. Zimmermann fell to 3-6 with a 2.89 ERA over 14 starts this season.
b. Reliever Ryan Mattheus tossed a perfect eighth inning.
c. Shortstop Ian Desmond had two singles, a walk and a run.
d. DH Michael Morse had a double but struck out twice.
6. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
b. Closer Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
c. Reliever Henry Rodriguez is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right index finger, which he suffered when he slammed a bathroom door on the finger.
d. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL and meniscus) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season.
e. Catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
g. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
h. Infielder-outfielder Mark DeRosa (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
j. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Losing Two Of Three At Miami
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Cincinnati
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four At Seattle
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Colorado
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Two Of Three At The Angels