Nationals lose to the Yankees 5-3 in 14 innings on Saturday afternoon (June 16, 2012).
1. The Nats fell to 38-25 overall and 18-12 at home.
a. The Nats fell to 24-21 since their 14-4 start.
b. The Nats fell to 6-2 on their 15-game swing against opponents from the American League East.
c. The Nats fell to 0-2 on their six-game homestand.
2. Reliever Brad Lidge allowed two runs on three hits and an intentional walk and recorded two outs in the top of the 14th inning. The big blow was a two-run double by first baseman Mark Teixeira.
3. The Nats went 9-for-50 overall and 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
a. 19-year-old rookie center fielder/right fielder Bryce Harper went 0-for-7 with five strikeouts. He did not speak to reporters after the game.
b. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman went 0-for-5 with a walk and committed a throwing error (3).
4. Positives from the loss:
a. Relievers Ross Detwiler, Tyler Clippard, Sean Burnett, Craig Stammen and Michael Gonzalez combined for 7 1/3 scoreless and hitless innings.
b. Starter Jordan Zimmermann allowed three runs (two earned) in six innings on five hits and three walks versus six strikeouts on 108 pitches.
i. Zimmermann now has a 2.92 ERA over 13 starts this season.
c. Rookie first baseman Tyler Moore had a single, two walks, a stolen base and a run.
d. Catcher Jesus Flores had a two-run double in the second inning and a single. He did have a passed ball and went 0-for-1 on runners trying to steal.
5. Injury/absence/roster update:
a. It was revealed that shortstop Ian Desmond has been dealing with an oblique injury. He started and blasted a solo homer (10) in the eighth inning. Desmond did commit a one-run error (10) in the top of the fourth inning.
b. Right fielder Jayson Werth (broken left wrist) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 7 and was expected to miss 10-12 weeks.
c. Closer Drew Storen (right elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on April 11 to remove a small bone fragment from his right elbow and is expected to return sometime around the All-Star break.
d. Reliever Henry Rodriguez is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right index finger, which he suffered when he slammed a bathroom door on the finger.
e. Reliever Ryan Mattheus (left foot injury) on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Catcher Wilson Ramos (torn right ACL) is on the 60-day disabled list and is done for the season. Manager Davey Johnson has said that Ramos underwent a first surgery to repair a torn meniscus in the knee but still needs to undergo a second surgery, which will repair the torn ACL.
g. Catcher Sandy Leon (high right ankle sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
h. Catcher Carlos Maldonado (lower back strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Infielder Chad Tracy (right groin tear) is on the 15-day disabled list. He underwent surgery on May 31 and was expected to miss six to eight weeks if not the rest of the season.
j. Infielder-outfielder Mark DeRosa (left oblique strain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
k. Reliever Cole Kimball (right shoulder surgery) is on the 60-day disabled list.
l. First baseman Chris Marrero (torn left hamstring) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Dallas In Week 17
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Philadelphia In Week 16
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At The Giants In Week 15
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To St. Louis In Week 14
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Indianapolis In Week 13