Orioles lose at Atlanta 4-2 on Friday night (June 15, 2012).
1. The O’s fell to 37-27 overall and 18-13 on the road.
a. The O’s fell to 10-13 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s fell to 0-1 on their six-game road trip.
c. The loss snapped the Birds’ five-game winning streak.
2. Starter Brian Matusz allowed four runs in 5 2/3 innings on nine hits (including two homers) and three walks on 116 pitches. He did record seven strikeouts.
a. Matusz’s scheduled start for Wednesday evening was pushed back to Friday evening due to having suffered a nose contusion on Tuesday afternoon when he was hit on the nose by a bunted ball.
b. Matusz fell to 5-7 with a 4.94 ERA over 13 starts this season.
3. The O’s totaled just six hits, went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and batted into four double plays.
a. The O’s now have grounded into 72 double plays, worst in the majors.
b. Right fielder Chris Davis went 0-for-3 with a walk. He also had an impressive diving catch in the sixth inning despite having never played in the outfield in the majors.
c. Catcher Matt Wieters went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and a walk.
d. Left fielder Steve Pearce went 0-for-2 with two strikeouts. He did have a walk and an RBI sac fly.
e. First baseman Mark Reynolds went 0-for-2 with two walks and a run.
4. Positives from the loss:
a. The Birds’ bullpen tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings.
i. Birds relievers lead the majors with a 2.38 ERA.
ii. Reliever Luis Ayala tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings, recording two strikeouts.
iii. Reliever Troy Patton tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
b. The O’s totaled seven walks, including six off starter Tommy Hanson.
i. Third baseman Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) had an RBI double, a single, a walk and a run.
ii. Center fielder Adam Jones had a double, a single and a walk. He did get picked off.
5. Injury/roster/absence update.
a. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
b. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list.
c. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
d. Starter Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) is at Triple-A Norfolk.
e. Reliever Matt Lindstrom (right middle finger injury) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
g. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
h. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Winning Three Of Four Against Minnesota
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Taking Two Of Three At Seattle
- Five Takeaways From The Orioles Taking Three Of Four Against Tampa Bay
- Five Takeaways From The Nationals Getting Swept At Philadelphia
- 10 Takeaways From The Redskins' Loss At Baltimore And The Cutdown To 75