Orioles lose at Seattle 6-3 on Monday night (July 2, 2012).
1. The O’s fell to 42-37 overall and 20-17 on the road.
a. The O’s fell to 15-23 since their 27-14 start.
b. The O’s now have lost 10 of their last 13 games.
c. The O’s fell to 0-1 on their seven-game trip out west.
2. Starter Jason Hammel allowed four runs in 6 2/3 innings on seven hits and two walks versus eight strikeouts on 114 pitches.
a. Hammel now has allowed 12 earned runs in 10 innings over his last two starts.
b. Hammel fell to 8-4 with a 3.43 ERA over 16 starts this season.
3. Reliever Troy Patton allowed two runs in 1 1/3 innings, giving up back-to-back solo homers in the eighth inning.
4. The O’s totaled just three hits and struck out 10 times.
a. The Birds’ No. 1 through 4 batters – second baseman Robert Andino, shortstop J.J. Hardy, third baseman Wilson Betemit (BEH-teh-meet) and center fielder Adam Jones – went a combined 0-for-16 with six strikeouts. Andino also committed an error (11).
i. Hardy now is 7-for-62 (.113) over his last 15 games.
ii. The O’s now have an MLB-worst 70 errors.
5. Positives from the loss:
a. Right fielder Chris Davis had a three-run homer (14) and a double.
b. DH Jim Thome (TOH-mee) had a single, a walk and a run.
c. Catcher Matt Wieters had two walks and a run and went 1-for-2 on runners trying to steal.
6. Injury/roster/absence update.
a. Second baseman Brian Roberts did not play due to a sore groin.
b. The O’s recalled pitcher Steve Johnson from Triple-A Norfolk. His father Dave pitched for the O’s from 1989-91 and is currently a broadcaster for MASN and the O’s.
c. 30-year-old pitcher Dontrelle Willis announced his retirement. He had an 8.53 ERA over four games (one start) for Triple-A Norfolk this season. Willis won the National League Rookie of the Year award in 2003 and won 22 games in 2005 but has struggled since the 2007 season. He had filed a grievance against the O’s over being used as a reliever but dropped it.
d. Pitchers Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter and Zach Britton (left shoulder impingement) are at Triple-A Norfolk.
e. DH Nick Johnson (right wrist sprain) is on the 15-day disabled list.
f. Right fielder Nick Markakis is on the 15-day disabled list for the first time in his career. He underwent successful surgery to remove a broken hamate bone from his right wrist on June 1 and was expected to miss three to four weeks.
g. Left fielder Nolan Reimold (herniated disc) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent what’s expected to be season-ending surgery on June 25, though it’s possible that he’ll play late in the season. He said that his procedure is the same one that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had. Reimold has five homers in just 16 games this season.
h. Right fielder Endy Chavez (strained right hamstring) is on the 15-day disabled list.
i. Rookie reliever Stu Pomeranz (left oblique injury) is on the 60-day disabled list.
j. Pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (soo-YOH-shee WAH-duh) (left elbow) is on the 60-day disabled list. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on May 11.
k. Catcher Taylor Teagarden (strained back) is on the 60-day disabled list.
Return to: Al Galdi Blog
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win At Dallas In Week 8
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Win Over Tennessee In Week 7
- 10 Takeaways From The Orioles Getting Swept By Kansas City In The ALCS
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss At Arizona In Week 6
- How It Should Be Remembered: The Redskins' Loss To Seattle In Week 5